Below is a brief run down of services and activities offered by Muscular Dystrophy SA, for more information regarding each activity or service, visit the get support tab.
- Hydrotherapy – Two one hour sessions are held at the Women’s & Children’s Hospital each Thursday. Hydrotherapy is facilitated by a neuro-physiotherapist and 2-4 attendants to assist clients on dry land and in the pool.
- Physiotherapy – 1 free appointment per year is offered to clients as required. Clients are referred to 1 of 2 neuro-physiotherapists who have experience in the neuromuscular field and a long and successful working relationship with Muscular Dystrophy SA.
- Speech Therapy – Clients are referred to a speech therapist experienced in working with individuals who have been diagnosed with a neuromuscular condition. Our speech therapist is available to see clients to address swallowing and choking issues. Appointments are available once a month.
- Counselling – Muscular Dystrophy South Australia offers external counselling. Counselling can assist people to make sense of their lives, resolve specific problems and make decisions. If you are interested in being provided with counselling then please contact Client Services on 8234 5266.
- Support Groups – Muscular Dystrophy South Australia facilitates a variety of support groups. The Spinocerebellar Ataxia (SCA) group is held on the second Wednesday of each month. A monthly MD Mafia support group is held on weekends monthly for young men aged 15-25. A variety of support groups are also organised throughout the year for individuals, these groups include CMT, Myositis and Leukodystrophy. Such groups take place as required by clients. Other support groups can be arranged if there is sufficient client need.
- Buddy Up Program – Muscular Dystrophy SA facilitates the Buddy Up Program. The Buddy Up Program revolves around 1:1 interaction between a volunteer and a client. Buddies can attend social events together or they can choose to spend time at the client’s home. The Buddy Up Program provides a learning, educational and awareness promoting experience for volunteers and it is a great opportunity for clients to build their social networks within the community. Contact Hoda in Client Services on 8234 5266 or email email@example.com if you would like to get involved either as a buddy or as a volunteer.
- Camp Capacity – Camp Capacity is a four night, five day camp held for children and young adults with a neuromuscular condition and their siblings who are aged between 5-25. It is a great opportunity for campers to make new friends, gain new experiences and enjoy themselves in a supportive environment away from home. Campers are matched up with volunteer carers who assist them throughout their stay. Camp is also a great chance for parents and carers to have some much needed respite.
- Grown-Up Getaway – Muscular Dystrophy SA holds a three night “getaway” weekend for adult clients who are over 25 once per year. In March 2014 a group of clients & their carers headed to the Wallaroo North Beach Caravan Park. They enjoyed time at the beach, meals at local eateries and exploring local towns.
- Christmas Party – In late November each year, Muscular Dystrophy SA holds a family Christmas party to celebrate the festive season with great food, company and entertainment. Clients, carers, volunteers, Muscular Dystrophy SA staff and friends of Muscular Dystrophy SA are all welcome.